Quote: “When we started on our wine journey from humble origins in 1997, we have always held the view that our intention was to produce a range of unique wines of excellence and, above all, to have fun doing it. As custodians of such an ancient craft, a balanced, holistic, creative and respectful approach reflects harmony and character in our wines.” Catherine Marshall.
To apply a classic, cool and restrained approach to a generally accepted warmer climate variety prevalent in most of South Africa. The thought is to harmoniously balance the fresh backbone of laser-like acidity with a ripe, broad spectrum array of fruit.
Grapes were selected from a single vineyard in Elgin on Bokkeveld Shales, and Hutton soils in Stellenbosch.
Elgin vines were vertically shoot positioned on a 5- wire fence system planted 2.2m x 1.2m apart on south and south-east facing slopes to enhance more even budburst and resultant ripening. The vines in Stellenbosch were from old bush vines with low to
moderate yields as they are old vines (about 47 years old). Production averaged at 6-8 tons per hectare from Elgin vines and low yields of 4-5 tons per hectare on the Stellenbosch site. Harvesting took place in Elgin in March and mid-February in Stellenbosch.
40% was decanted to old 225 litre French casks and the remaining 60% was fermented cold in stainless steel.