Region: Chateauneuf-du-Pape, S Rhone
This estate is 9 hectares in size and located on the eastern edge of Châteauneuf-du-Pape in southern Rhône. Le Clos du Caillou also owns 44 hectares in the Côtes du Rhone appellation and the vines were classified as Côtes du Rhône Villages because in 1936, the previous owner of the land refused to allow those in charge of delimiting the Châteauneuf-du-Pape appellation access to the domaine. Most of the terroir making up these vines is in fact identical to its neighbouring lieux-dits in Châteauneuf-du-Pape.
The grapes that go into Clos du Caillou’s Châteauneuf-du-Papes are destemmed and undergo long fermentations, resulting in wines of wonderful richness and layers of aromatics. They also always show superb balance and they remain fresh and avoid over-ripeness. The estate received its organic certification in 2010 and continues to experiment with biodynamic farming. The 2015 vintage in the Rhône valley has produced fantastic wines and the duo of the ‘Les Safres’ and ‘Les Quartz’ are must-buys. The former wine is produced from 50-70-year-old vines planted in sandy soils and is a blend of 95% Grenache and the other 5% made up of Mourvèdre, Vaccarèse and Cinsault.