This vintage is a blend of 70% Sauvignon Blanc and 30% Sémillon. The total production of this wine was only 7700 bottles; fermented and matured on the lees for six months in 10 demi-muid barrels. Three of these barrels (30%) were new, of which 2 barrels were French Oak and 1 barrel French Acacia. The remaining seven barrels (70%) were older French oak ranging from 2nd to 5th fill. The wine shows good fruit concentration and minerality with only a small influence of oak from the sensible use of barrels for fermentation and maturation. The notable Sèmillon component (30%) adds a wonderful texture to the wine and lends enormous capacity for ageing, while the Sauvignon Blanc provides the freshness and mineral backbone
Uplifting aromas of nectarine, orange and elderberry with undertones of the oak flavours imparted during barrel fermentation. Tropical papaya and green melon flavours also come through and this complex array of aromas offers magnificent ethereal notes in the wine’s youth, but these will integrate beautifully with time and create a refined and intricate wine.
The wine is fresh and lively with remarkable fruit concentration. It has a rich and textured mouthfeel that develops during the maturation of the wine on lees in large 600 litre barrels for 6 months. It is sumptuous whilst retaining great elegance and finesse due to a poised acidity and well-defined minerality. The Sémillon (30%) contributes to the weighty texture and mouth coating richness of the wine and also furthers ageing capacity. This is a classic Constantia style wine that is fresh and vibrant and has the underpinnings to age and develop admirably for 7 to 10 years from harvest.