Van Loggerenberg Wines is a family-run winery based in Paarl, making low-intervention, site-specific wines from vineyards mainly in the Stellenbosch and Swartland appellations. Started in 2016 by Lukas and wife Roxanne, their range has risen to ten and all wines capture, via minimal intervention, the freshness, elegance and purity which lie at the heart of Lukas’ philosophy. Lukas grew up in Rawsonville in the Breederivier valley, and was always surrounded by vineyards and wine. While he is inspired by the likes of Touraine, Saumur, Chinon and Vouvray, he is certainly not out to produce replicas of these wines – his aim is to create great South African wines. Each wine and it’s name has a specific story behind it and his wines have become extremely sought-after.
This wine is made from two parcels, 87% of the grapes from a vineyard situated on the Rustenhof farm in the Firgrove area which was planted in 1978 and the remaining 13% from the second oldest vineyard in South Africa, planted in 1932 in Franschhoek. Both vineyards are made up of bush vines and are dryland farmed. Decomposed granite soils with under laying sandstone give this wine its elegance and finesse.