WINE SERVICE STAFF
Skilled and confident wine servers sell more wine. The School of Fine Wine offers three courses in wine and wine service. Courses are practical and excursions based presented in small groups, and consist of three levels, covering al aspects of wine; from different wine types to the principals of wine tasting, serving and wine and food pairing.
The first course covers the essential principals of wine:
- The stages of wine production.
- The main types and styles of South African wine.
- Introduction to wine tasting, and what characteristics are essential to quality wine.
The second course covers:
- History of wine production in South African.
- Geography of the Winelands.
- Grape cultivars.
- Wine service.
The third course covers current topics in the wine industry:
- Students will be familiarised with icons of wine in the Cape.
- The organic and biodynamic wine movement.
- Méthode Cap Classique production and tasting of sparkling wine.
As each student completes a course, a certificate of achievement will be awarded if all minimum results are met. Further to this, the establishment will receive full feedback on staff and ongoing wine support.